Primary & Middle School
Students investigate the colour, shape and patterns of a variety of organisms that can be found on the Great Barrier Reef. During their journey of discovery students get up close to the creatures of the reef and gain an appreciation for and inspiration from the diversity of colours, shapes, patterns and textures that exist in nature.
Completing this Reef HQ Education Program will develop students' ability to:
- Select and arrange images and objects for personal display;
- Design, make and modify images and objects applying elements and additional concepts to construct intended meanings;
- Identify and compare the elements and additional concepts to interpret images and objects from cultural and historic contexts;
- Develop images and objects to interpret chosen social and cultural issues; and
- Create and display images and objects to reflect an understanding of functions and purposes of public and community art.
The following unit includes suggestions for activities that can be completed before and after your Reef HQ visit.
Reef HQ Visit
This teacher resource is linked to a class visit to Reef HQ. The Reef HQ visit will enable students to:
- Gain an appreciation for the Great Barrier Reef;
- Explore visual art and design elements of line, shape, texture and colour;
- Identify additional concepts of space, balance, contrast, pattern, variation, position, movement, direction and tone;
- Consolidate concepts of length, size, similarity and difference, weight, repetition, sequence, categories, proportion, symbolism, composition, depth, abstraction and representation;
- Conceive and design, images and objects to express their experiences, feelings, ideas and observations; and
- Contextualise, critically interpret and represent a personal and community issue of concern in visual, kinaesthetic and auditory forms.
You may need Acrobat Reader for some of the following documents.
Get Acrobat Reader
Animorph - Challenge Activity
File size: 729k
Art Attack - Teaching Unit
File size: 259k
Field Sketch - Challenge Activity
File size: 736k
Line Expression - Challenge Activity
File size: 775k
Revealing Rubbings - Challenge Activity
File size: 722k
Shapes and Patterns - Challenge Activity
File size: 1407k